Oklahoma Stories: Cherokee National Historical Society


The Cherokee Heritage Center, located in Park
Hill, Oklahoma, is owned and operated by the Cherokee National Historical Society. Once called Tsa La Gi, meaning “Cherokee”,
the facilities stand on the grounds of the original Cherokee Female Seminary, which was
destroyed by fire in 1887. The Cherokee Female Seminary, a boarding school,
was opened in 1851 and was the first institution of higher learning for women west of the Mississippi. The Cherokee Heritage Center, built by Charles
“Chief” Boyd, opened in 1967 to help the Cherokee National Historical Society preserve, promote
and teach the tribe’s history, culture and arts. The 44- acre park is home to both the Cherokee
National Archives and the Cherokee National Museum. And, from 1969 to 2005 it was the
site of a nationally-recognized “Trail of Tears Drama”. And in 2013, the golden anniversary of the
Cherokee National Historical Society, Diligwa opened – a new village that recreates Cherokee
life in the early 18th century. The Cherokee Heritage Center also offers exhibits,
cultural workshops, genealogy classes, living history and other events throughout the year. Highlights include a Trail of Tears Competitive
Art Show each spring; the annual Cherokee National Homecoming Fair over Labor Day weekend,
and Ancient Cherokee Days in October. (Music out)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *